press enter to search

Liam Gallagher's solo album breaks record

News Desk

The Jakarta Post

Jakarta  /  Thu, October 19, 2017  /  02:54 pm
Liam Gallagher's solo album breaks record

This file photo taken on July 15 shows British singer Liam Gallagher performing during the Benicassim International Festival (FIB) in Benicasim, Spain. Gallagher released his solo album 'As You Were' on Oct. 6. (Agence France -Presse/Jose Jordan)

The debut solo record of former Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher has shot to the top of the official vinyl album chart after selling 16,000 copies in its first week.

The solo album, titled As You Were, also broke the record for the largest one-week vinyl album sales in more than 20 years, industry publication officialcharts.com reported.

The website also reported that As You Were was both the best-selling and most streamed album of the week ending Oct. 19, and is the third fastest-selling of 2017 behind Ed Sheeran's Divide and Rag 'n' Bone Man's Human.

Read also: Liam Gallagher postpones Jakarta concert date

The album also achieved combined sales of 103,000 copies, 91 percent of which were physical purchases and digital downloads, with streaming accounting for the remaining 9 percent.

The achievement could largely be due to the fact that most of Liam's fans are followers of Oasis, one of the biggest bands of the 1990s, who grew up buying music on compact discs (CD).

Gallagher quit Oasis in 2009 after recurrent feuds with his brother Noel.

As You Were was released on Oct. 6 and the singer is expected to perform in Jakarta in January next year.

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now