The Jakarta Post
Supporting your child is one of the most important things to help them develop their musical ability. (Shutterstock/File)
Not all intelligence has to do with scientific things like math, technology or science. If your child loves to sing and is able to hit the right tune, chances are they might possess musical intelligence.
As reported by kompas.com, United States research expert professor Howard Gardener has mapped out children's "multiple intelligences" into eight main categories.
Gardener suggests that each person has their own intelligence but at different levels of development. He defines intelligence as a gathering of ability or skills that can be further developed. Among the eight categories mentioned are linguistic, math logic, visual and spatial, music, interpersonal, kinesthetic and naturalist.
Musical intelligence is the ability to enjoy, observe, differentiate, create, form and express musical forms. This type of intelligence consists of sensitivity toward rhythm, melody and timbre of the music they hear.
Among the characteristics of children who possess musical intelligence are:
1. They are able to play a musical instrument.
2. They are able to sing in high and low keys.
3. They are able to remember a rhythm after simply hearing it a few times.
4. They are often listening to music and able to enjoy concerts or music performances.
5. They are often listening to songs while studying.
6. They are able to follow a rhythm very well and can be found tapping their fingers according to the beat without realizing it.
According to the Education and Culture Ministry, parents can play a role in developing the musical aptitude of their children by doing these things:
1. Play songs often according to their age.
2. Encourage and teach them to play a musical instrument
3. Introduce them to various musical instruments.
4. Bring them to music performances.
5. Give positive reinforcement when they are playing a musical instrument or singing. (kes)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x