Cooking alongside Gordon Ramsay as his mentor in the West Sumatra episode of the second season of Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted was Indonesia's own culinary expert, 73-year-old William Wongso.
After previously sharing Ramsay's rendang (meat slow-cooked in coconut milk and spices) recipe, here is the rendang recipe used by William during the show:
Serve: 16 to 18 pieces
- 1 kg topside beef (diced into 4 x 4 cm cubes)
- 1.5 liter coconut milk or coconut cream
- 2 g tamarind
- 30 g lemongrass
- 1 turmeric leaf
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- salt to taste
- 150 g red chili
- 40 g shallots
- 40 g garlic
- 30 g candlenuts
- 1 g cloves
- 60 g galangal
- Blend red chili, shallots, garlic, candlenuts, galangal, cloves and turmeric into a paste.
- Prepare saucepan, add coconut cream and spice paste and mix well, bring to the boil.
- Add diced beef, mix well.
- Add kaffir lime leaves, tamarind and lemongrass and keep stirring until the color of the sauce changes to golden brown and the oil comes out from the coconut milk.
- Continue stirring on a low heat until the sauce color changes to dark brown and caramelizes and the meat is tender.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now