TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Prabowo could escape int’l rights tribunal

  • Bagus BT Saragih

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Tue, March 19 2013   /  10:43 am

Hopes of seeing the generals allegedly responsible for the May 1998 riots dragged into an international rights tribunal have been dashed, after the International Criminal Court (ICC) made it clear that it would not concern itself with any crimes taking place prior to 2002.

ICC president Song Sang-hyun has said there will be no exceptions made to the statute’s principles of complementarity and non-retroactivity, meaning that the court’s jurisdiction will remain strictly focused on cases taking place after the statute came into force in July 2002, according to Deputy Law and Human Rights Minister Denny Indrayana, who met with Song in The Hague, the Netherlands, earlier this month.

“The ICC president told me that there are no exceptions for the two basic principles under any circumstances,” Denny told The Jakarta Post. “My question to Song was general and didn’t re...