TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Govt takes another look at Koba Tin’s contract

  • Amahl S. Azwar

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, April 5 2013   /  11:29 am

Indonesia, one of the world’s largest tin exporters, suddenly changed its approach over the fate of PT Koba Tin as the Malaysia-controlled tin mining firm’s contract in Bangka Island in Bangka-Belitung expired as of March 31.

Last year, the government stated it would transfer the concession to the state-owned, publicly listed PT Timah.

On Thursday, however, Deputy Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Susilo Siswoutomo said nothing had yet been carved in stone on Koba Tin’s future. The ministry, he said, had established a team to review the contract for the next three months from April 1.

“We have tasked [Koba Tin] to continue their operations in the next three months as the government reviews the contract. The team must have finished their assessment by then,” he told The Jakarta Post in a text message.

The decision, he said, was made to ensure t...