TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Indonesia condemns Paris attacks, calls for international action

  • Tama Salim and Ina Parlina

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sun, November 15, 2015   /  03:15 pm

President Joko '€œJokowi'€ Widodo has expressed his most sincere condolences to the people of France following coordinated terrorist attacks on the country'€™s capital, Paris, on Friday, which left more than 120 people dead.

'€œIn light of the recent terrorist attacks in Paris, we would like to convey our deepest condolences to the people of France. Indonesia fervently condemns the violence and brutality that has occurred,'€ Jokowi told a press conference at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport in East Jakarta on Saturday, shortly before leaving the country for the G20 Leaders'€™ Summit in Antalaya, Turkey.

Jokowi also called on the international community to come together in the fight against terrorism, underlining the importance of strengthening international cooperation.

'€œTerrorism cannot under any circumstances be tolerated,'€ he said.

The President said it had become increasingly important for countries to step up global efforts against terrorism.

Jokowi is set to attend a number of high-profile international conferences in the coming weeks, culminating in his attendance at the 21st Conference of Parties (COP-21) to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in early December.

Friday'€™s attacks have dragged terrorism back onto the main agenda, with Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi saying that the President would speak out on the issue during the G20 summit, which begins on Sunday.

Retno also revealed that her ministry had had no reports of Indonesians being among the victims in Paris, adding that officials would continue to monitor the situation as it developed.

'€œWe have not yet been given any information about Indonesian nationals falling victim [to the attacks]. The Indonesian Embassy in Paris will continue to work to ascertain details about any [possible] victims,'€ Retno told The Jakarta Post on Saturday.

The ministry'€™s director for the protection of Indonesian nationals and entities abroad, Lalu Muhammad Iqbal, confirmed that no Indonesian nationals had been hurt in the attacks.

Iqbal did, however, reveal that a number of Indonesians were known to have been at the Stade de France watching the Germany-France friendly soccer match as suicide bombers blew themselves up nearby.

The Indonesian Embassy in Paris meanwhile urged all Indonesian nationals in Paris to remain cautious, avoid any locations that could make for potential targets and guard themselves against any radical groups.

Meanwhile, French Ambassador to Indonesia Corinne Breuzé met briefly with the Jakarta press on Saturday to report on the emergency measures.

Breuzé said that French President Francois Hollande had declared three days of national mourning. '€œAs such, the French Institute and the Alliance Française school will be closed for the next three days,'€ she told a press conference held at the French Embassy.

She also conveyed her gratitude to Jokowi and Retno for their support, and to the National Police for sending special reinforcements to guard the French mission'€™s offices and cultural institutions in Jakarta and Bali.

Elsewhere, German Chancellor Angela Merkel pledged to work closely with the French government to help hunt for the attacks'€™ culprits and their backers.

'€œThis attack on freedom was aimed not just at Paris; it targeted and it hits all of us. That is why we must all respond together,'€ said Merkel, dressed in black, her voice faltering, as reported by the Associated Press.

'€œWe, your German friends, feel very close to you. We cry with you,'€ she said. '€œWe will lead this fight together with you against those who did such unimaginable things to you.'€

She said she would be meeting with relevant ministers to discuss ongoing developments in France.

US President Barack Obama meanwhile called the attacks on Paris an '€œoutrageous attempt to terrorize innocent civilians'€ and vowed to do whatever it takes to help bring the perpetrators to justice.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Obama said he would not speculate about who was responsible.

He called the attacks a '€œheartbreaking situation'€ and an '€œattack on all of humanity'€.

Queries can be directed to the hotlines of the Indonesian Embassy in Paris on +33621122109, the Indonesian Consulate General in Marseille on +33618221283 and the Foreign Ministry'€™s local hotline on +6281289009045.
______________________________________

To receive comprehensive and earlier access to The Jakarta Post print edition, please subscribe to our epaper through iOS' iTunes, Android's Google Play, Blackberry World or Microsoft's Windows Store. Subscription includes free daily editions of The Nation, The Star Malaysia, the Philippine Daily Inquirer and Asia News.

For print subscription, please contact our call center at (+6221) 5360014 or [email protected]

 

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now