The Jakarta Post
The National Police have retracted their plan to allow television stations to broadcast live the case screening regarding Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama’s alleged blasphemy.
Although it will be restricted from viewers nationwide, the case screening will be transparent and accountable because outsiders from different interest groups will attend and monitor the process, National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Boy Rafli Amar said.
“Representatives from various elements – those who filed the reports, experts, Kompolnas [National Police Commission] and some other invitees – will attend [the case screening],” Boy told the press on the sidelines of a ceremony at the National Police’s Mobile Brigade (Brimob) headquarters in Depok, West Java, on Friday.
“But it will not be open for the media to televise it,” he emphasized.
Earlier, the police planned to televise proceedings. Boy did not explain the reason for the change.
However, Boy’s announcement comes days after his institution was widely criticized for its plan to hold an open case screening.
Boy explained that in order to help the police make a careful decision, the case screening, which is slated to take place next Wednesday, would see experts in Islamic teaching, language and criminal law, offer their insights into the case.
Previously, National Police chief. Gen. Tito Karnavian said police investigators would hold a case screening in relation to a blasphemy case, as instructed by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo. The President’s order came following a large-scale demonstration in Jakarta on Nov. 4, in which more than 100,000 people took to the streets, demanding the immediate arrest of Ahok on allegations of blasphemy. (bbn)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x