Supporters of Jaringan Masyarakat Peduli Pegunungan Kendeng, a movement that rejects the development of a cement factory belonging to state-run cement maker Semen Indonesia in Rembang, Central Java, have said they will continue to stage protests until they are assured the factory’s construction ceases.
In a front of a tent erected at the entrance of the Central Java gubernatorial office on Jl. Pahlawan, Semarang, the movement’s activists have been carrying out orations to show their rejection of the Rembang factory’s construction since Dec. 19 last year.
“We will continue to stage protests until no cement factory is built in Rembang,” the rally’s coordinator, Joko Prianto, told The Jakarta Post in Semarang on Monday.
Apart from the anti-factory group, there were several pro-factory organizations staging rallies periodically in front of the governor’s office. However, both camps refrained from clashing.
(Read also: Permit of Semen Indonesia’s Rembang factory revoked)
On Monday evening, Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo revoked the factory’s construction permit as a follow up to a Supreme Court (MA) ruling, which ordered the suspension of the project. Citing the court ruling, he said, the environmental impact analysis (Amdal) of Semen Indonesia’s Rembang factory that had been used as a reference to issue its initial permit was procedurally flawed.
“Several [important] items were not included in the documents, especially on the procedures and regulations on the limitation of limestone mining activities in the area’s ground water basin. Concrete solutions to the needs of local residents have also not yet been addressed in the documents,” said Ganjar, adding that the permit could be reinstalled once Semen Indonesia fulfilled the requirements demanded. (ebf)
Tough measures: Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo reads out a decree, which revokes a construction permit for state-run cement maker Semen Indonesia's cement factory in Rembang, Central Java, in a press conference on Jan. 16. (JP/Suherdjoko)