The Jakarta Post
The years-long power struggle within the Surakarta sultanate in Central Java has significantly eased since Sultan Pakubuwono XIII Hangabehi finally sat on the throne in April.
However, many issues appear to remain and they could result in the Rp 1.4 billion (US$105,000) grant earmarked for the sultanate not being disbursed this year.
The Surakarta city administration has allocated Rp 300 million while another Rp 1.1 billion has been allotted by the Central Java provincial administration in grants for the sultanate.
However, the two administrations require the palace to establish a new palace management body before the grants can be disbursed.
“We demand the palace establish the body by Sept. 7. Otherwise, [the grants] cannot be disbursed [until next budgetary year],” Surakarta city secretary Budi Yulistianto said on Wednesday.
Previously, Home Minister Tjahjo Kumolo failed to get a letter of approval from Hangabehi as a legal requirement to establish a technical managing unit (UPT) for the management of the palace.
Surakarta Sultan Pakubuwono XIII Hangabehi sits on the throne to watch the “sacred” Bedaya Ketawang dance during the Tingalan Jumenengan event commemorating the anniversary of his coronation at the Surakarta Palace on Saturday. The ceremony marked the beginning of reconciliation between the sultan and the customary council that has opposed his leadership. (The Jakarta Post/Ganug Nugroho Adi)
A recent meeting attended by Tjahjo, Surakarta Mayor FX Hadi “Rudy” Rudyatmo, Presidential Advisory Board member Subagyo Hadi Siswoyo, and representatives of the royal family, as well as representatives from the Education and Culture Ministry and Tourism Ministry, which was intended to discuss the unit, broke down in acrimony.
“We were accused of neglecting the palace. I cannot accept that. All this time the funds used to take care of the palace have been from the state,” Rudy said. (bbs)