The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration’s decision to revoke permits for the Jakarta Bay land reclamation project is coherent with the stance of the central government, Environment and Forestry Minister Siti Nurbaya Bakar has said.
During a meeting with Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, Siti told the former that the governor’s decision aligns with the ministry’s recommendation to rearrange the spatial layout of the four islets that have been built.
“I stated that the islets needed to be rearranged so that it reflects the social dimension,” she said on Sunday as quoted by kompas.com.
According to Anies, the islets in question, namely C, D, G and N, will be used for public purposes, although he did not elaborate further on the details.
The head of the Governor’s Team for Development Acceleration coast management division, Marco Kusumawijaya, said Anies had talked to Siti a week ago.
“They met a week ago. During the meeting, we told her about our decision and she told us that what we did is in line with her recommendation on the islet's management,” Marco said.
Previously, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan had voided the principle permits to stop the development of the 13 man-made islets in the Jakarta Bay on Wednesday. The decision was made to fulfill his election promises made during his gubernatorial campaign in 2017. (dpk/swd)