TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Marriott says up to 500 million guests affected by hack

  • News Desk

    Agence France-Presse

Washington, United States   /   Fri, November 30, 2018   /   09:49 pm
Marriott says up to 500 million guests affected by hack In this file photo taken on July 6, 2017, a San Francisco Municipal Railway tram passes a Marriott Hotel in San Francisco. Marriott International said on November 30, 2018, that up to 500 million hotel guests may have had their data compromised in a hack of the Starwood Reservation database. Marriott said it was alerted on September 8 that there had been an attempt to hack their reservation database in the US. (AFP/Daniel Slim)

Marriott International said Friday that up to 500 million hotel guests may have had their data compromised in a hack of the Starwood reservation database.

Marriott said it was alerted on September 8 that there had been an attempt to hack their reservation database in the United States.

The company launched a probe, and discovered "that there had been unauthorized access to the Starwood network since 2014."

They discovered "that an unauthorized party had copied and encrypted information, and took steps towards removing it." 

On November 19 Marriott "was able to decrypt the information and determined that the contents were from the Starwood guest reservation database."

Hotels in the Starwood network include Sheraton, Four Points by Sheraton and W Hotels.

"We deeply regret this incident happened," said Arne Sorenson, Marriott's President and Chief Executive Officer. "We fell short of what our guests deserve and what we expect of ourselves."