The Jakarta Post
A severe rainstorm in Bengkulu over the weekend has caused floods and landslides across the region, claiming the lives of at least 10 people.
Eight people were reportedly missing as of Sunday morning, while roughly 12,000 had been displaced.
The disaster has damaged 184 houses, four schools as well as roads and bridges in nine cities or regencies, including the city of Bengkulu and the regencies of Kepahiang, Rejang Lebong, Seluma and Kaur.
“The disaster’s impact will be further assessed as not all of the affected areas have been reached,” National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said in a statement on Sunday.
Floods and landslides occurred in a number of areas--each of which were hard to reach due to damaged roads. Yet, Sutopo assured that authorities were working to reach those affected.
The BNPB, furthermore, has deployed a fast response team to assist the local disaster mitigation agency in helping victims. “[BNPB] has also set aside ready-to-use funds for emergency management,” said Sutopo.
The funds will be used--among other things--to repair damaged roads and to distribute aid. Among items that are urgently needed are tents, inflatable boats, blankets, foods, clean water and emergency lights. Volunteers are also needed.
Those affected were told to stay alert as there was potential for high intensity rain in the region.