TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Activists claim seven injured amid security response, internet blackout in Papua

  • Benny Mawel and Kharishar Kahfi

    The Jakarta Post

PREMIUM
Jayapura and Jakarta   /   Wed, August 28, 2019   /  02:30 pm
The Jakarta Post Image
Fires rage on Aug. 19 in Manokwari, Papua, as local residents take to the streets to protest racial abuse of Papuans.(AFP/Str)

The anti-racism protests that broke out across Papua and West Papua have resulted in civilian victims amid increased security measures and the government-imposed internet blackout, activists claim. The Indonesian Military (TNI) has dismissed the claim, calling them “hoaxes”. The protests started on Aug. 19 as a response to incidents in the East Java cities of Malang and Surabaya on Aug. 15 to 17, during which Papuan university students were targeted in physical and racist verbal attacks. Activists said at least seven civilian victims had been reported in the two provinces. In West Papua, one person was injured in Fakfak and another person in Manokwari; in Papua province, five people were injured in Timika. Activists also said that two unverified victims had been reported in Fakfak. ...