The Jakarta Post
Three days after he took his oath to serve for his second and final term, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced on Wednesday the 38 members of his new Indonesia Maju (Indonesia Onward) Cabinet, who are set to help him spearhead his administration until 2024.
The new ministers, Jokowi said, would carry on their respective tasks while focusing on the government’s targets for the next five years, which included developing the nation’s human resources, creating job opportunities and empowering small, micro and medium enterprises.
Here are some messages that Jokowi conveyed to his new ministers while announcing his Cabinet lineup:
1. Coordinating Political Legal and Security Affairs Minister Mahfud MD
“Everything related to corruption, legal certainty, deradicalization and antiterrorism [measures] will be under Pak Mahfud MD’s authority.”
2. Coordinating Economic Minister Airlangga Hartarto
“I hope for breakthroughs and more synergy among relevant ministries so we can increase more job opportunities, reduce our current account deficit and trade balance deficit as well as to develop export-oriented industrialization.”
3. Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister Muhadjir Effendy
“[Muhadjir] will lead the acceleration to alleviate poverty, to [increase] tolerance, national solidarity and mental revolution.”
4. Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Pandjaitan
“Making Indonesia the world’s maritime axis as well as addressing investment barriers and realizing big investment commitments will be in [Luhut’s] hands.”
5. Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto
“I think I don’t have to tell him his tasks [as Defense Minister], he knows it more than I do.”
6. State Secretary Pratikno
“To ensure communication related to policies between the President and the Cabinet as well as state institutions.”
7. Home Minister Tito Karnavian
“Reforms and synergy with regional administrations, including citizenship data, e-ID and legal certainty related to investment will be under his authority.”
8. Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi
The President did not mention specific tasks related to her job.
9. Religious Affairs Minister Fachrul Razi
“He will be tasked with handling radicalism, people’s economy, halal industry and issues related to the haj.”
10. Law and Human Rights Minister Yasonna Laoly
“I hope you will lead [the drafting] of omnibus laws, namely a job creation law and a small and medium enterprises empowerment law.”
11. Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati
“Investment-friendly tax, the ratio of debt against GDP, current account deficit – I think these fall within [your] territory.”
12. Culture and Education Minister Nadiem Anwar Makarim
“We will make significant breakthroughs in human resource development, to prepare human resources who are ready to work and to link and match education and industry.”
13. Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto
“Stunting, basic health services and the management of the Health Care and Social Security Agency (BPJS) will be your territory.”
14. Social Affairs Minister Juliari Batubara
“[Social program] cards, affordable staple food, the Family Hope program, disaster management – these fall within your territory.”
15. Manpower Minister Ida Fauziyah
“Partnerships, industrial education, improving the quality of human resources, workers’ social protection and the protection of migrant workers will fall within Bu Ida Fauziyah’s territory.”
16. Industry Minister Agus Gumiwang Kartasasmita
“You will handle export-oriented industrialization and the industrialization of the substitutes of imported products and small-medium technology enterprises.”
17. Trade Minister Agus Suparmanto
“Export, import, trade, current account – these fall within your territory.”
18. Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Arifin Tasrif
“He worked as president director of a state-owned enterprise before and was an ambassador in Japan. I think issues related to the realization of renewable energy and [efforts] to reduce oil and gas imports and so on will be under his authority.”
19. Public Works and Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuljono
“We all know his tasks, which are related to infrastructure.”
20. Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi
“We are hoping that Pak Basuki and Pak Budi Karya will expedite [programs] to connect roads to airports, ports to industry, tourism to logistics.”
21. Communications and Information Minister Johnny G. Plate
“All things related to cybercrime, data sovereignty and the domestic IT industry will fall under his jurisdiction.”
22. Agriculture Minister Syahrul Yasin Limpo
“Farmers, food, corporatizing farmers and farming productivity will be Pak Syahrul Yassin Limpo’s area.”
23. Environment and Forestry Minister Siti Nurbaya
“[You] will handle the green industry, social forestry, carbon trading, forest fires.”
24. Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Edhy Prabowo
“Fisheries, fisheries industry, maritime tourism and so on will fall within your territory.”
25. Villages, Disadvantaged Regions and Transmigration Minister Abdul Halim Iskandar
Jokowi did not specifically mention Abdul’s tasks.
26. Agrarian and Spatial Planning Minister Sofyan Djalil
“Land certification, land redistribution will fall within his territory.”
27. National Development Planning Minister/National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas) head Suharso Monoarfa
Jokowi did not mention specific tasks for Suharso.
28. Administrative and Bureaucratic Reform Minister Tjahjo Kumolo
“Debureaucratization and building a core government IT system will be Pak Tjahjo’s new tasks.”
29. State-Owned Enterprises Minister Erick Thohir
“[Your] task will be building and expanding state-owned enterprises to the global market.”
30. Cooperatives and Small and Medium Enterprises Minister Teten Masduki
“Taking Indonesian SMEs global, strengthening skills and networks of entrepreneurs, activating the modernization of cooperatives.”
31. Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Wishnutama Kusubandio
“Developing and promoting Indonesia’s 10 burgeoning tourist destinations [the so-called 10 New Balis], strengthening creative industries.”
32. Women's Empowerment and Child Protection Minister I Gusti Ayu Bintang Darmawati
“Strengthening the role of women in entrepreneurship, eliminating child labor, overcoming violence against women and children.”
33. Research and Technology and Higher Education Minister Bambang Brodjonegoro
“[He will] also be the head of our national research and innovation body.”
34. Youth and Sports Minister Zainudin Amali
“The soccer, Sir,” Jokowi said, apparently highlighting recent controversies surrounding Indonesian soccer.
35. Presidential Chief of Staff Moeldoko
Jokowi did not specifically mention Moeldoko’s tasks.
36. Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung
The President did not mention Pramono’s tasks.
37. Investment Coordinating Board (BKPM) chief Bahlil Lahadalia
Jokowi also did not mention his detailed expectation of Bahlil.
38. Attorney General ST Burhanuddin
“He will be maintaining legal independence, upholding the rule of law and building complaint handling management that must be really taken care of properly.”
Jokowi went on to remind his ministers to refrain from corrupt practices and to create a system that would make corruption impossible within the bureaucracy. He further urged his Cabinet members to work productively with a result-oriented approach and not to get trapped in a monotonous work routine.
“There is no such thing as the visions and missions of the ministers; there are only the visions and missions of the President and Vice President,” Jokowi said.
“All of us have to work fast, work hard and be productive," he went on, "We must be serious while working. Be careful, I will make sure to dismiss [Cabinet ministers] who are not serious and determined in doing their tasks." (swd/afr/syk)