TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Family of four found dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in East Jakarta

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, January 3, 2020   /   03:26 pm
Family of four found dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in East Jakarta

A family of four in Pulo Gadung, East Jakarta, were found dead in a possible case of carbon monoxide poisoning from a portable generator in their bedroom in the early hours of Friday. They were found in bed bleeding from their noses and with redness on their bodies.

The victims, identified as Mahmudi, 35, Ayu Maryana Oktavia, 29, Selvia Audy Pratiwi, 9, and Maheza Kurniawan, 5, were found by the police at 1 a.m. on Friday.

"Our temporary assertion is that the victims died of poisoning from a generator," East Jakarta Police crime unit head Sr. Adj. Comr. Hery Purnomo said as quoted by Antara news agency.

Hery quoted a witness, Mahmudi's relative, who said the victims had carried out their normal activities on Thursday morning.

"At the time, their generator was on because there was a blackout at their house," he said.

When the relative returned later that day at 1 p.m. to bring food to the family, he said the generator had been turned off.

He went to the house again at 11 p.m. that day to bring food only to find out later that the four of them had died, so he reported the case to the Pulo Gadung Police.

Hery said the victims' bodies were also swollen but there were no indications of violence. The police had sent the bodies to Sukamto National Police Hospital, East Jakarta, for autopsy, he added. (ars)