The Jakarta Post
A malfunction triggered a false fire alarm at the House of Representatives’ compound in Central Jakarta on Monday, officials said.
According to reports from the Central Jakarta fire brigade, smoke was first detected from the second floor of the Nusantara 3 building, which spread to the eighth floor by 12.15 p.m., causing dozens of people to evacuate the building.
However, House secretary-general Indra Iskandar assured that the smoke had not come from a fire but from a glitch in the fire extinguishing aerosol system.
“In the second-floor corridor, the aerosol [system] turned on for no apparent reason. The fire department is currently looking into why the system was triggered,” he said on Monday. “Right now, everything is clear and clean. There was no damage and no victims.”
Indra added that the smoke had originated from fogging that was triggered by the system.
“From outside the building, it did look like something was on fire,” he said.
Jakarta police chief Insp. Gen. Nana Sudjana, who was also at the scene, confirmed that there was no fire.
“There was only smoke. There was no fire,” he said. (ydp)