The Jakarta Post
The Banten provincial administration has, once again, extended large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) to flatten the curve of COVID-19 infection in the region.
Banten Governor Wahidin Halim said PSBB would be extended until Aug. 8 and that the policy would allow businesses to remain open, albeit with renewed emphasis on physical distancing and personal hygiene.
“[The administration] has coordinated with other regions that have imposed PSBB because a number of cases in Banten came from outside the province,” Wahidin said after a meeting of administration officials on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com.
He called for stricter enforcement of health protocols to ensure public safety during the course of the extension.
“Don’t let leniency breed violations,” Wahidin added.
Banten Deputy Governor Andika Hazrumy said the administration had recently recorded a decline in confirmed cases.
“Banten province now ranks 13th after previously ranking 12th a week ago on the national [COVID-19] transmission ranking,” he said.
According to the official government count, Banten had 1,719 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 85 deaths as of Saturday. (rfa)