TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Man United's Maguire set for retrial after appealing against brawl conviction

  • News Desk

    Reuters

Athens, Greece   /   Thu, August 27, 2020   /   09:30 am
Man United's Maguire set for retrial after appealing against brawl conviction In this file photo taken on July 26, 2020 Manchester United's English defender Harry Maguire reacts during the English Premier League football match between Leicester City and Manchester United at King Power Stadium in Leicester, central England on July 26, 2020.Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been granted a full retrial after appealing against Greek court convictions on multiple charges following a brawl on the island of Mykonos last week, the Premier League club said on Wednesday. (Pool/AFP/Oli Scarff )

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been granted a full retrial after appealing against Greek court convictions on multiple charges following a brawl on the island of Mykonos last week, the Premier League club said on Wednesday.

England defender Maguire was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult after his arrest in a brawl in which two police officers were assaulted.

The 27-year-old was handed a suspended prison sentence of 21 months and 10 days.

In accordance with the Greek judicial process, the filing nullifies Maguire's conviction and United confirmed there will be a full retrial in a more senior court.

"An appeal against yesterday's verdict was lodged this morning by Harry's legal team," a United spokesperson said in a statement.

"This means that Harry has no criminal record and is once again presumed innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, he is not subject to any international travel restrictions."

The case will be retried within the next two years by a court on the nearby island of Syros, sources close to the process told Reuters.

Following the verdict, Maguire, who was not present at the trial, said in a statement: "I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter - if anything myself, family and friends are the victims."

Maguire's brother Joe and friend Christopher Sharman were also found guilty of offences related to the incident and received suspended prison sentences. They denied any wrongdoing.

England coach Gareth Southgate withdrew Maguire from his squad for next month's Nations League matches against Iceland and Denmark.

Ioannis Iakovos Paradisis, the lawyer who represented the police officers on Tuesday, confirmed an appeal had been filed on behalf of all three men.

He said that since the case will be heard again, the defendants will have the opportunity to appear in court this time and provide explanations.

"Even if they believe that they are innocent, they could have said they are sorry," Paradisis said.