The Jakarta Post
A flash flood on Monday has left at least two people dead, 20 others injured and hundreds more displaced in Sukabumi, West Java.
The flooding occurred around 5 p.m. local time on Monday, after a torrential downpour in the three districts of Cicurug, Parung Kuda and Cidahu caused the Citarik and Cipeuncit rivers to overflow their banks. The floodwaters were reportedly 6 meters high in certain areas.
Three people in Cicurug were swept away by the flood. A joint search-and-rescue team recovered the bodies of two people identified as Jeje, 58, and Hasyim, 70, on Tuesday morning. The third person, identified as 25-year-old Anang, is still missing.
“Twelve houses were swept away by the flash flood and 85 houses were inundated. Several vehicles were also swept away,” emergency head Budi Budiman Wahyu of the West Java Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) said on Monday.
Budi added that the four villages of Cisaat, Pasawahan, Mekarsari, and Bangbayang on the southern slope of Mount Salak were heavily affected by the floods. The West Java BPBD had sent five personnel to help the Sukabumi BPBD in providing assistance to residents in flood hazard areas, including their evacuation.
The Sukabumi BPBD said on Tuesday that at least 20 people had been injured during the flooding, while 210 families in Cicurug had fled their homes for safety.
Authorities also said that the flooding had affected at least 306 houses and several public facilities, and severely damaged six houses and 10 bridges.
The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) has issued an early warning for West Java, with potential heavy rainfall accompanied by lightning and strong winds on Tuesday and Wednesday.