The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has called on the city’s Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) to warn the public about the potential of a flood at least one day before the flood occurs.
The instruction was stipulated in Gubernatorial Decree No. 52/2020 about the acceleration of flood control system improvement during the climate change era, which was signed by Anies on Sept. 15.
According to Anies, the agency must announce areas at risk of flooding through an online early warning system while continuing to monitor those areas.
Below are seven instructions regulated in the decree:
1. Build an early detection and warning system for floods and an adaptive, predictive, smart and integrated flood mitigation system.
2. Ensure the existing flood mitigation infrastructure to operate at optimal capacity.
3. Accelerate the development of flood mitigation infrastructure that is still incomplete.
4. Enforce the public’s role in flood prevention.
5. Improve the flood mitigation system corresponding with the demands of climate change.
6. Nurture awareness, empowerment and responsive behavior toward flood and climate change in the community.
7. Ensure the availability of physical needs and optimize the budget for flood mitigation. (aly)