The Jakarta Post
Two Jakarta-owned social institutions focusing on youth have received COVID-19 assistance from the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) through its Africa-Asia Development Relief Foundation’s (ADRF) Dream Center.
The KOICA gave on Tuesday personal protective equipment, disinfectants, medical substances and clothing to the Jakarta Social Agency to be distributed to Taruna Jaya Youth Education Home (PSBR Taruna Jaya) 1 and PSBR Taruna Jaya 2 -- two shelters for homeless, poor or delinquent children and youths.
“We hope this donation can ease the steps and efforts of the Jakarta Social Agency in handling COVID-19,” Dream Center official Nurul Hafidzha Lubis said in a statement.
The donation started in June in a close partnership with the Jakarta administration and was part of the Korean agency's youth social rehabilitation program, Nurul added.
Jakarta Social Agency head Irmansyah said he appreciated the gesture, calling for people to cultivate such a sense of empathy during the pandemic.
“We know there are so many challenges ahead, from all social, economic and health perspectives. But we must remain optimistic,” he said.
A number of youth groups in Jakarta have launched initiatives to help the youth affected by the pandemic. Karang Taruna Petamburan, a youth organization in Tanah Abang, Central Jakarta, for instance, has collaborated with NGO Indonesia Resilience (IRES) and crowdfunding platform Kitabisa to open makeshift learning centers equipped with smart devices and wireless networks that local students are able to access for free, under the supervision of adult volunteers.
Jakarta has extended the transitional period of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) for another two weeks starting Monday until Dec. 21, as COVID-19 cases continue to rise. Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan specifically pointed to hundreds of new household clusters emerging across the city, when announcing the extension of PSBB. He said from Nov. 23 to 29, authorities found 410 household clusters with 4,052 cases, accounting for 41 percent of all COVID-19 cases they discovered in the same period.
Both Anies and his deputy Ahmad Riza Patria tested positive for the coronavirus last week.
The capital city has remained the hardest-hit province in the country, with 146,621 confirmed cases and 2,846 deaths as of Tuesday, according to the Health Ministry.