The Jakarta Post
West Java Governor Ridwan Kamil has said that the province will ban crowd-pulling New Year’s Eve celebrations in public spaces indoors and outdoors, saying they pose a risk of COVID-19 transmission.
He added, however, that he did not prohibit family or personal gatherings on the New Year’s Eve, saying that such events were unavoidable.
“We cannot avoid personal [gatherings],” Ridwan said in Bandung, West Java, on Monday.
West Java recorded an increase in the number of red zones, or areas at high risk of COVID-19 infection, from six regencies and cities in late November to eight last week, indicating increasing COVID-19 transmission in the province.
The eight red zones are Bandung, Depok, Cimahi, Garut, Majalengka, Karawang, Bekasi and West Bandung.
Ridwan said his administration would issue a regulation requiring that travelers present negative rapid test results when visiting tourist attractions in West Java for the year-end holiday season.
“There is a plan to require those visiting tourist spots, for example, in Bandung, West Bandung or Pangandaran, to present proof of antigen test results,” he said.
The plan follows an evaluation of tourism during the long weekend in late October, which resulted in an increase in the number of cases, hospitalizations and patients in isolation rooms in West Java.
Ridwan said he wanted to ensure that no tourist to and from the province spread the coronavirus. (mrc)