Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsFormer FPI secretary-general abetted terrorists, court finds.
ast Jakarta District Court on Wednesday sentenced Munarman, the former secretary-general of the banned hardline group Islam Defenders Front (FPI) to three years in prison for "consciously aiding terrorism actors".
The case against Munarman follows the jailing last year of FPI leader, Rizieq Shihab, for spreading false information about COVID-19. Followers of the controversial organization have said the cases were politically motivated.
The FPI was outlawed by the government in 2020, clipping its wings as it gained political influence in the Muslim-majority country.
“[We] hereby declare the defendant has been proven...by law guilty of committing acts of terrorism," the judge presiding over the court said in a hearing.
Munarman was found to have abetted "terrorism actors" by "concealing information on terrorism acts", another judge added.
Over the years, the FPI had gained a reputation for raiding bars and brothels and violently confronting religious minorities. But it also built support among some low-income citizens for its charity work such as distributing aid during natural disasters.
Its clout was on display in 2016, when Rizieq spearheaded massive protests against Basuki Tjahaja Purnama or Ahok, Jakarta's then-governor, a Christian who was subsequently jailed for insulting Islam.
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.