TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Philippine militants free 10 Indonesian hostages

  • Jim Gomez

    Associated Press

Manila, Philippines   /   Sun, May 1, 2016   /  05:34 pm
Philippine militants free 10 Indonesian hostages In crisis -- Philippine National Police Director General Ricardo Marquez reads the joint statement of the military and police on the beheading of Canadian hostage John Ridsdel of Calgary, Alberta by Muslim extremist Abu Sayyaf group in southern Philippines Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at Camp Crame in suburban Quezon city, northeast of Manila, Philippines. Ridsdel along with fellow Canadian Robert Hall, Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad and Filipino Marites Flor were kidnapped last September from a marina on southern Samal Island with the militants threatening to behead one of the hostages if the large amount of ransom was not paid Monday. (AP/Bullit Marquez)

Abu Sayyaf militants have freed 10 Indonesian tugboat crewmen who were seized at sea in March and taken to a jungle encampment in the southern Philippines, officials said Sunday.

The Indonesians appeared to be in good health when they were dropped off Sunday in front of the house of Sulu province's governor in the town of Jolo, said the town's police chief, Junpikar Sitin. The 10 men were then brought to a Philippine military camp, where arrangements were to be made for them to be turned over to Indonesian officials.

Jolo's mayor, Hussin Amin, welcomed the release of the Indonesians, but said he was unaware whether a ransom had been paid.

"If this big release came in exchange for money, those who paid are supporting the Abu Sayyaf," he said. "This money will be used to buy more firearms and will be utilized as mobilization funds by these criminals."

An army officer who has been helping to deal with kidnappings by the Abu Sayyaf said a rebel commander from the Moro National Liberation Front, which has signed a peace deal with the Philippine government, helped negotiate with the Abu Sayyaf for the release of the Indonesians.

The hostages were escorted down from a jungle encampment in Sulu and left outside the home of the governor, who fed the freed captives, said the army officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to reporters.

The 10 Indonesians were taken by the militants at gunpoint from a tugboat in March. Four other Indonesian crewmen, who were snatched on board another tugboat last month, remain in captivity.

When asked whether ransom was paid, the army officer said he was unaware of any ransom payment, but added that it was hard to imagine the Abu Sayyaf freeing hostages without receiving money.

Abu Sayyaf gunmen beheaded a Canadian hostage in Sulu last Monday after they failed to receive a huge ransom by a deadline they had set. Philippine troops launched an offensive against the Abu Sayyaf after the beheading, and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has vowed to help the Philippines bring the killers to justice.

More than a dozen foreign and local hostages remain in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf, including another Canadian. (**)

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now