The Jakarta Post
The Buddhist temple of Borobudur in Magelang, Central Java. (Shutterstock/NaughtyNut)
The closure of Borobudur, Prambanan and Ratu Boko temples in Central Java will be extended until April 11 in response to the alarming spread of COVID-19 in Yogyakarta and Central Java.
Borobudur was initially scheduled to be closed until March 29.
Edy Setijono, director of PT Taman Wisata Candi (TWC) Borobudur, Prambanan and Ratu Boko, told Tempo.co that the three temples had been closed to visitors beginning on March 20.
He said that the surfaces of the temples and the temple complexes, along with ticket booths and the office of PT TWC, were regularly sprayed with disinfectant.
“During the closure, we are also improving all infrastructure at the temple sites,” said Emilia Eny Utari, secretary of PT TWC.
Kompas.com reported that on March 16, the entire surface of Borobudur Temple was sprayed with a special disinfectant that is safe for both humans and the temple’s masonry. According to BKB conservation section head Yudi Suhartono, the disinfectant contains alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, glycerol and Aqua Dest.
With the closure of Borobudur, its tourism packages, namely Sunrise, Sunset and Manohara Borobudur, are not available for purchase.
On March 19, the Environment and Forestry Ministry temporarily closed 57 conservation areas across the country, including Mount Merapi National Park in Central Java, Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park in East Java and Komodo National Park in East Nusa Tenggara. (wng)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x