Fatwa and reviving literacy
Muhammad Nazil Iqdami
PhD student researching digital literacy at the Faculty of Education, Monash University
PREMIUM I was enjoying the pre-dawn meal before fasting when I read that the Indonesia Ulema Council (MUI) had just released a fatwa guiding the use of social media in Indonesia. This fatwa or edict came in response to the increasing amount of hoaxes and hate speech that are mostly distributed through social media. As a Muslim and an educator, I am excited but cannot help questioning, why now? What&rsq...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- Ahok, other prisoners barred from Independence Day event
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
- SEA Games: Indonesia beats Philippines 3-0
- China gets tough on long, odd company names
- SBY attends ceremony at State Palace
- KPK gets new information on flow of funds in e-ID graft