Tourism ministry to hold 10 surfing competitions in 2018
Tourism ministry is planning to hold 10 surfing competitions in different parts of Indonesia in 2018.
According to the ministry’s marine tourism acceleration team head Indroyono Soesilo, Indonesia has the best surfing spots in the world and it would be a shame if they are not optimally used.
“We’re coordinating with World Surf League (WSL), Regional Manager Asia (WSL) and Indonesia Wave Surfing Association (PSOI) that is led by Stephen Robinson alongside the association’s general secretary to hold 10 regional surfing competitions in 10 surfing destinations in Indonesia in 2018,” said Indroyono.
“As an early step, on August 16 we’re holding an international surfing competition in Pacitan Beach, East Java and there’ll be a focus group on October 6 with 10 regents who will be the hosts for the regional surfing competitions. It will be coordinated by a team from marine tourism acceleration department that is led by Mayjen Marinir (Purn) Buyung Lelana. The 10 locations include Mentawai Islands, Western Coast, South Nias, Pacitan, Batu Karas, Canggu in Bali, Kearamas in Bali, Maluk, Dompu and Rote,” Indroyono added.
The ministry also referred to a research from Repucom in 2014 stating that surfing tops the list for the most loyal audience, followed by Nascar, Major League Baseball, NBA and National Football League.
The ministry’s ultimate goal is for the World Surf League to be held in Mentawai, West Sumatra in 2019.
The Mentawai Islands have 71 surfing spots with 49 of them are categorized as exclusive. Moreover, two places in Mentawai, Lances Right and Macaronies, are included in the 10 best surfing spots in the world. (asw)
- Anies wants FPI to improve its image
- Tourist boat capsizes in Thousand Islands
- Sports ministers of Indonesia, Malaysia settle flag incident
- RI awaits official KL apology on SEA Games 'flag incident’: Sports minister
- Ministry to prioritize infrastructure in four sectors in 2018
- Apple under pressure to dazzle as market slows
- Bekasi bird shop owner suspected of avian flu infection
- Korean national named suspect in fatal car crash
- Indonesian Achievements Festival to recognize 72 'Icons'
- Lake Toba to host Lake Toba Charm Carnival 2017