Tahu gejrot (fried tofu in sweet spicy sauce) is a traditional snack from Cirebon, West Java.
For the country's 72nd Independence Day, Raffles Jakarta hotel in South Jakarta shares its version of tahu gejrot.
“It's different to other tahu gejrot as we use tahu bulat [round tofu],” said Bastian Muntu, chef de cuisine at Arts Café by Raffles.
Below is the recipe for those wanting to make tahu gejrot salad.
Read also: Ramadhan recipe: The Westin Jakarta’s ‘nasi bakar’
Tahu gejrot salad
- 12 bird’s eye chilies
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lime, juiced
- 8 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 250 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 round tofu
- 100 grams lettuce
- 10 grams carrot, grated
- 4 slices red radish
- 50 grams cucumber, chopped
- 2 grams bean sprouts
- 5 grams red cabbage, julienned
- 10 grams cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 10 grams green tomatoes, chopped
- 10 grams radish, grated
- 5 grams lemon basil leaves
- To make the sauce, place bird’s eye chilies and garlic in a pestle, crush into smooth paste. Add lime juice and mix well.
- Add sweet soy sauce and mix well. Add water and salt, mix well and put aside.
- Cut tofu in two. Fry until it turns crispy.
- Mix tofu with tahu gejrot sauce.
- In a salad bowl, add lettuce, carrot, red radish, cucumber, bean sprouts, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, green tomatoes and radish. Using hand, mix all the vegetables. Add salt for seasoning and put aside.
- Serve salad with tahu gejrot with lemon basil leaves. (kes)