TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Ministry on the defensive after scathing deforestation report

  • The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sat, November 26 2011   /  08:30 am

The government says that a global risk analysis and mapping company has compiled a “misleading” report claiming that the rate of deforestation in Indonesia was one of the worst in the world.

“The study is misleading if it is used to picture Indonesia’s current deforestation rate because Indonesia has been implementing a two-year moratorium on issuing new licenses to clear primary forests and peatlands since May last year, and also has selectively issued licenses for tree cutting,” Forestry Ministry secretary-general Hadi Daryanto told The Jakarta Post on Friday.

Hadi said that Indonesia had decreased deforestation to 700,000 hectares as of 2010. “I believe that the number will be even smaller [considering] this year’s reduction,” he said.

Maplecroft released a study on Thursday showing that Nigeria, Indonesia and North Korea had the world’s highest...