TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

National scene: Slank challenges National Police Law

JAKARTA: Members of veteran rock band Slank have turned to the Constitutional Court (MK) to exercise their constitutional rights after the police banned the band from performing on several occasions

The Jakarta Post
Fri, February 8, 2013 Published on Feb. 8, 2013 Published on 2013-02-08T09:27:09+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

J

AKARTA: Members of veteran rock band Slank have turned to the Constitutional Court (MK) to exercise their constitutional rights after the police banned the band from performing on several occasions.

On Wednesday, the band filed a request for a judicial review against Article 15 paragraph 2 of the 2002 National Police Law, in conjunction with Article 510 of the Criminal Code, which grants the police authority to give permission to public festivities, as well as to monitor them.

“Since 2008, they have banned our gigs several times, but last year they canceled us over and over again, citing various reasons,” Slank guitarist Abdee Negara said on Wednesday.

“In some places, we can go to our gigs, but in others its uncertain. It violates our rights to freedom of expression.”

In November, the police banned the band from performing in the Soundrenaline 2012 concert at BSD City in South Tangerang, citing Slank’s “bad record” during performances that saw “many fans get involved in riots.”

Yet, other bands were allowed to perform at the concert. Abdee added that other concerts, including dangdut, could result in violence. A lawyer who represents Slank, Andi Muttaqien of the rights watchdog Elsam, said the article gave rise to legal uncertainties as “it provided no clear definition of activities involving a crowd.”

“If the police aren’t happy with the concert, they won’t give permission, it’s as simple as that,” he said. “In some cases, national security was used as a reason [for not allowing the band to perform]. This is just illogical,” Andi added.

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.