The Jakarta Post
The Foreign Ministry's director for international security and disarmament, Andy Rachmianto, has said the government is currently drafting a work plan on the distribution of humanitarian assistance, including the development of temporary shelters, for Rohingya boat people from Myanmar.
The drafting of the work plan, which involves a number of ministries, is a follow up to commitments made by Indonesia and Malaysia last month to take in for one year Rohingya people who entered the countries' territories.
"We are drafting the work plan to decide on what to do during this one year and the responsibility of each ministry," Andy said at a press conference at the ministry's office on Thursday.
Apart from the Foreign Ministry, other ministerial level offices involved include the Office of the Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister, which will the drafting process, and the Office of the Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister.
Andi further said the work plan would also determine state funds to be allocated for humanitarian aid for the Rohingya.
He said temporary shelters would be built near existing shelters in North and East Aceh regencies as well as in Medan, North Sumatra.
Based on Foreign Ministry data, there were 1,713 irregular migrants in Aceh province -- with 964 people from Myanmar and 749 people from Bangladesh -- and 148 people in Medan -- with 52 people from Myanmar and 96 people from Bangladesh ' at the end of April. An estimated 7,000 migrants are believed to still be at sea.
Southeast Asian countries, including Indonesia, are facing a growing refugee crisis, following an exodus of Rohingya since the outbreak of tensions with Myanmarese Buddhists in 2012. (ebf) (++++)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x