TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

1965 massacre tribunal website blocked

  • Arientha Primanita

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, November 12, 2015   /  07:16 pm
1965 massacre tribunal website blocked Prosecutor Sri Suparyati, center left, and prosecutor Uli Parulian Sihombing, center right, attend a “people’s tribunal” which opened hearings intended to publicize allegations of mass killings 50 years ago by Indonesian authorities of hundreds of thousands of suspected Communists at the Nieuwe Kerk, or New Church, in The Hague, Netherlands,on Nov. 10, 2015. The court has no formal legal powers, but aims to shed light on what organizers call the darkest days in Indonesia’s post-colonial history and promote reconciliation by exposing the truth about the 1965 killings. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong) (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)

Prosecutor Sri Suparyati (center left) and prosecutor Uli Parulian Sihombing (center right) attend a '€œpeople'€™s tribunal'€ which opened hearings intended to publicize allegations of mass killings 50 years ago by Indonesian authorities of hundreds of thousands of suspected Communists at the Nieuwe Kerk, or New Church, in The Hague, Netherlands, on Nov. 10. (AP/Peter Dejong)

A website presenting updates on the International People's Tribunal on Indonesia's 1965 mass killing could not be accessed on Thursday afternoon.

The website was set up by human rights activists to inform the public about the activities of the tribunal in The Hague, the Netherlands, from Nov. 10 to 13. Thursday marked the third day of the tribunal, which is discussing the exiling of people, forced disappearances and hate propaganda.

When thejakartapost.com attempted to open the website, 1965tribunal.org, the homepage had been replaced with an ERROR 403-Forbidden notice.

The website was established to give live streams from the tribunal, which features prosecutors and witnesses who openly discuss what happened during the communist purge.

People can still watch the tribunal on its YouTube channel.

Communications and Information Minister Rudiantara said that the ministry did not block the website. '€œI have checked it,'€ he told thejakartapost.com.

The tribunal is a civil initiative managed by human rights activists and aims to bring justice and closure for people whose lives were affected by the 1965 to 1966 mass killings. The massacre is believed to have been orchestrated by the government and claimed up to 1 million lives.

The President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo administration has chosen to ignore the tribunal, saying that Indonesia has its own judicial system and has given no details on how past human rights abuses will be addressed.

The tribunal is not legally binding but is an attempt to give recommendations for the government to acknowledge the past crimes against humanity as well as to formulate solutions for the victims and their families.

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now