The Jakarta Post
A high-profile trial on alleged corruption in the procurement of electronic identity cards (e-KTP) in 2011 and 2012 will not be aired live on television.
Defendants in the case include Irman, the former director general for population and civil registration at the Home Ministry, and Sugiharto, the former managing director at the same directorate general.
The Jakarta Corruption Court, which will start the trial on Thursday, has announced that no live TV coverage of hearings would be allowed.
(Read also: House speaker denies involvement in e-KTP graft case)
According to Jakarta Corruption Court spokesperson Yohanes Priana, a hearing that has been declared open for public means that the court invites the public to the courtroom, but that does not necessarily mean that the media can broadcast it live.
“Some of the content [presented during hearings] is substantial for the trial and owned by the concerned parties in the particular case, and that [information] is normally not for the public," Yohanes said on Wednesday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Controversies arose when hearings of the murder trial of Jessica Kumala Wongso between July and October last year, which attracted massive public attention nationwide, were broadcasted live by TV stations up to several times a week.
Yohanes said print and online reporters would still be able to cover from inside the courtroom.
An official shows e-KTP cards in Menteng, Jakarta, in this file photo.(JP/Dhoni Setiawan)
The trial is much anticipated because the case involves large sums of money and implicates dozens of politicians. The project value was 5.9 trillion (US$442.31 million), but the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has indicated Rp 2.3 trillion in state losses. (dis/bbs)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x