The Jakarta Post
National Police spokesperson Awi Setiono said on Thursday that the Kampung Melayu suicide bomb attack is likely linked to the Islamic State movement.
“It is most likely linked to IS, but we are still investigating its possible connection to the international ISIS network,” Awi said at the National Police headquarters in South Jakarta on Thursday.
He said the attack was similar to a terrorist attack in Bandung in February, when a bomb was detonated at the Pandawa field before the perpetrator ran to the Arjuna subdistrict office where a shootout with the police took place. There were no casualties in the incident apart from the perpetrator who was shot by the police.
“It was the same type of bomb as the one in Bandung, except it [the attack] was executed properly,” he said.
IS-affiliated Jamaah Anshar Daulah (JAD) was believed to be behind the Bandung attack.
Awi said that the police had been warned of being the target of such attacks.
“With what happened in Manchester and Marawi, Densus 88 have warned the police to anticipate an attack, but we did not know when and where it would happen,” Awi said.
The police, he added, had conducted a search of a house in Bandung possibly connected to the attack. (dis/jun)