TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Puncak route reopened following initial roadwork

  • Theresia Sufa

    The Jakarta Post

Bogor   /   Mon, February 19, 2018   /   09:49 pm
Puncak route reopened following initial roadwork Traffic police in Bogor, West Java, observe a vehicle passing the Pinus junction in the Puncak resort area after the hilly route was reopened on Monday. The route had been closed since Feb. 7 following landslides that killed five people. (JP/Theresia Sufa)

Authorities have reopened with some limitations the Puncak pass near Bogor, West Java, which had been closed since early February following devastating landslides.

The route, which connects Bogor with Bandung, was reopened on Monday, but officials said it could be closed again if any concerns emerged during an assessment over the next few days.

Bogor Police traffic head Adj. Sr. Comr. Hasby Ristama said only two-wheel and four-wheel vehicles were allowed to pass all the way from Bogor to the Puncak resort area during the assessment.

"A special team will observe the trials. Endurance tests will be conducted at certain points, like the Pinus junction and Puncak pass," Hasby said, adding that the road could be closed again should any incidents occur.

For now, buses and other big vehicles cannot use the segment from Gunung Mas to Ciloto in Cianjur. They are only allowed to go as far as Cisarua.

Heavy vehicles, therefore, will be directed to the Ciawi-Sukabumi-Cianjur route or the Cibubur-Cileungsi-Jonggol-Cariu-Cianjur route.

Landslides in the hilly area of Puncak claimed five lives in the first week of February. (vny)