The Jakarta Post
Acting Jakarta Tourism Agency head Asiantoro has apologized to those who felt their names had been misused in the formation of the National Monument (Monas) events approval team.
Historians JJ Rizal and Anhar Gonggong have said they were not part of the special team tasked with reviewing and approving events to be held at Monas Park in Central Jakarta, which has an operational budget of Rp 461 million (US$32,000).
"It was said that the coordination was poor. I apologize to anyone who felt that they had not been contacted beforehand. We’ll improve together as a team,” Asiantoro said on Wednesday, kompas.com reported.
Asiantoro said Rizal had been invited to a meeting, but he was sick and unable to attend the meeting.
Earlier on Wednesday, Rizal said he was not involved with the team, although he was on its roster, and that he had never received an official letter on his appointment or an invitation to join the team.
The only letter he ever received, he said, was an invitation to a meeting of events at Monas. He said the event was strange and not suitable with his expertise.
"For me, it was weird for the event to be held in Monas, such as a street marching competition of a food brand. So, I did not come. I took the letter as misaddressed,” he said.
Rizal also said the Monas team was unnecessary.
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan issued Gubernatorial Decree No. 276/2018 on establishing the special team soon after he opened Monas Park for public events.
Rizal and Anhar were listed as a private sector representatives alongside Asro Kamar Rokan. (stu)