The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration will not disburse a grant requested by the Bekasi administration for financial contribution for the capital city having the dumpsite in the West Java city over budget deliberation technicalities, officials have said.
The Jakarta administration only allocated a regular compensation fund of Rp 194 billion (US$12.8 million) for dumping its waste to the Bantar Gebang landfill in Bekasi, said Jakarta Environment Agency integrated waste management unit head Asep Kuswanto said.
Jakarta did not allocate the grant or partnership fund of Rp 2.09 trillion that Bekasi had proposed as the city had completed the deliberation of the 2018 Revised Regional Budget (APBD-P) in September.
“We are also still focusing on completing development projects in Jakarta,” Asep said on Saturday as reported by kompas.com.
Jakarta also could not promise that it would allocate the requested fund in the 2019 regional budget draft, which is currently being discussed with the Jakarta Legislative Council.
Premi Lasari, the Jakarta Governance Bureau head, said Bekasi had just proposed the Rp 2.09 trillion fund to the city administration on Oct. 15, during which the city was discussing the city’s budget priorities for 2019 (KUA-PPAS) with the Jakarta Council. Any grant handed over to another regional administration must be included before the deliberation of the budget, according to a 2016 gubernatorial regulation, she added.
Premi said Jakarta could only allocate the fund in the 2019 revised budget or in the 2020 regional budget deliberations next year.
Bekasi had previously insisted Jakarta grant them the fund to be used for infrastructure projects as compensation for allowing Jakarta to dump its waste in the city.