TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

CNN offices evacuated after bomb threat, no explosive found

  • News Desk

    Agence France-Presse

New York, United States   /   Fri, December 7, 2018   /   02:02 pm
CNN offices evacuated after bomb threat, no explosive found A bomb disposal technician carries a package out of a U.S. Post Office facility at 52nd Street and 8th Avenue in Manhattan, October 26, 2018 in New York City. The latest package bomb device intercepted in New York City this morning was addressed to former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper at CNN's offices. Drew Angerer/Getty Images/AFP (AFP/-)

CNN's New York offices were evacuated Thursday night after a bomb threat, but no explosive was found and police later gave the all clear, the network said.

The roughly 90 minute drama recalled a similar evacuation in October after an explosive device was discovered at CNN's New York headquarters.

Fire alarm bells rang inside the newsroom to signal an evacuation shortly after 10:30 pm, CNN said on its website, as the network went to pre-taped programing.

An hour later the network was broadcasting from Skype.

"People just tuning in wondering why you're seeing me on Skype, why there's such technical difficulties, it's because we have been taken off the air because a bomb threat was called in to CNN," said host Don Lemon.

"We were evacuated and we know as much as you do."

"Due to a police investigation at Columbus Circle, West 58th Street between 8th and 9th Avenue is closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic," the New York Police Department tweeted, referring to the address of the news organization's offices. "Please avoid this area. Update to follow."

Around midnight, CNN said police had given the all clear for people to go back into the building.

The bureau was previously evacuated in October after a package with an explosive device was discovered.

CNN was targeted amid a wave of pipe bombs sent to opponents of President Donald Trump.

A Florida man named Cesar Sayoc was arrested for allegedly sending them and was indicted on 30 federal counts. He faces up to life in prison if convicted.