TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

A Malaysian is hurt, another may have been killed in Christchurch

  • News Desk

    The Star/ANN

Kuala Lumpur   /   Fri, March 15, 2019   /   12:43 pm
A Malaysian is hurt, another may have been killed in Christchurch An image grab from TV New Zealand taken on March 15, 2019 shows New Zealand police officers arriving outside the mosque following a shooting in Christchurch. (AFP/TV New Zealand)

The High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington has confirmed that at least one Malaysian has been hurt in the mosque shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand, while there are social media conversations saying that a Malaysian has been killed.

“As reported, there was a shooting incident in Christchurch mosque at 1:40 p.m. today.

“The High Commission is in close contact with the local authorities to get further details on the victims. So far, one Malaysian is confirmed injured and currently receiving treatment at the hospital,” it tweeted.

Foreign Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah tweeted that the victim is in stable condition and his wife has been contacted.

Meanwhile, a social media user posted that among the victims is a “Mr. Tarmizi” from Malay College Kuala Kangsar (MCKK).

“Just heard at least 1 Malaysian, a Mr. Tarmizi MCKK C90 was shot twice in the back. His son missing. Not sure yet how many Malaysians involved,” tweeted Rejaie Arbee.

This information has not been verified.

The High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington has also issued this statement:

“Dear Malaysians residing in New Zealand in particular in Christchurch, please check with your families and friends if anyone has been injured or affected by the reported shootings at the mosque.

“Please contact the High Commission at +64-210440188 or +64220662118 or email us at [email protected]

“Please share this around, stay indoors and follow the instruction from the authorities from time to time,” it posted on its Facebook page.

The Foreign Ministry is expected to issue its own statement soon.

Read also: New Zealand police warn of 'distressing' mosque shooting footage

Earlier Friday, New Zealand media and international news agencies reported that several people were killed when a gunman opened fire at a crowded mosque in Christchurch during afternoon prayers.

The death toll varies from nine and 27, according to several reports.

The city has been put in lockdown as a manhunt ensues.

The Al Noor mosque was filled with worshippers, including members of the Bangladesh cricket team. One witness told stuff.co.nz he was praying in the Deans Ave mosque when he heard shooting and saw his wife lying dead on the footpath outside when he fled, AFP reported.

Another man said he saw children being shot.

“There were bodies all over me,” he said.

An eyewitness told Radio New Zealand he heard shots fired and four people were lying on the ground, with “blood everywhere”.

Unconfirmed reports said the shooter was wearing military-style clothing.


This article appeared on The Star newspaper website, which is a member of Asia News Network and a media partner of The Jakarta Post