TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

President Jokowi condemns Christchurch mosque shootings

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, March 15, 2019   /   05:55 pm
President Jokowi condemns Christchurch mosque shootings This picture released by Radio New Zealand shows ambulances rushing toward a mosque after a shooting incident in Christchurch on March 15. A gunman opened fire inside the Masjid al Noor mosque during afternoon prayers, causing multiple fatalities. (AFP/Radio New Zealand)

President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has condemned shooting incidents at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that have left at least 49 people dead.

“Indonesia strongly condemns these acts of violence. I also convey my deepest condolences to the victims of the acts,” Jokowi said in North Sumatra on Friday.

The President said he had received reports about the incidents from Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi and that the government was still gathering information about them.

He called on Indonesian citizens in New Zealand be more cautious moving forward.

The Foreign Ministry reported that an Indonesian citizen and his son were injured in one of the shootings.

“The father is being taken care of at the intensive care unit and the son is in the general ward at the Christchurch Public Hospital,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir said on Friday in Jakarta.

The Indonesian Embassy in Wellington told The Jakarta Post that they received information that the two were shot by a gunman at the Linwood mosque.

Earlier on Friday, Minister Retno said there were six Indonesians praying at the Al-Noor mosque, which was also attacked by the gunman. Three of them managed to flee to safety while the whereabouts of the three others were unknown.

As many as 330 Indonesians live in Christchurch, 134 of whom are students, according to ministry data.

The embassy sent a team to Christchurch to monitor further developments and set up hotline numbers, +64211950980 and +64223812065, that can be contacted by those who seek information or any consular assistance.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has described the shooting incidents as "a terrorist attack".