TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

C. Java Police investigate failed suicide bombing in Kartasura

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Tue, June 4, 2019   /   10:53 am
C. Java Police investigate failed suicide bombing in Kartasura Police forensics investigators collect evidence at a bombing site in front of the police post in Sukoharjo, Central Java, on Tuesday. Police have arrested a suspected bomber who was severely injured in the failed attack. (Antara/Aloysius Jarot Nugro)

Central Java Police investigators have scoured a security post in the Tugu Tani area in Kartasura for evidence, following a failed bombing attack that injured the suspected bomber on Monday evening.

According to Antara news agency, personnel from the Densus 88 antiterror squad also searched the home of the 22-year-old suspect in Wirogunan village, Sukoharjo regency, early on Tuesday

Wirogunan village head Marjono said he had been tasked with accompanying the police as they collected evidence from the house, which included sulfur, wires, a cellphone, a switch and aluminum foil.

“I don’t remember every piece [ of evidence].  Police placed all the evidence into big cardboard boxes and took them away,” Marjono was quoted by Antara.

Meanwhile, Kompas TV reported on Tuesday that the police’s forensics investigators had arrived at the bombing scene at 7 a.m. to collect shrapnel.

Traffic in front of the affected security post – which is located on a street that connects three cities, Yogyakarta, Surakarta and Semarang – has returned to normal.

A suspected suicide bomber detonated a blast in front of the police post late on Monday evening. The suspect sustained severe injuries on his legs and hands. He was taken to the nearby PKU Muhammadiyah and Moewardi Surakarta hospitals before later being taken to the Bhayangkara Police hospital in Semarang.

No casualties were reported in the attack.

National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo said investigators were working to ascertain the motive behind the foiled bombing.

“We are investigating whether the attack is related to certain [terror] groups or launched by a lone wolf,” Dedi was quoted as saying by kompas.com.

In May last year, a family of six carried out three deadly bombings at three churches in Surabaya, East Java. They were all killed in the attack, along with at least seven other people.

Later that same day, a bomb prematurely exploded in nearby Sidoarjo, killing two adults and their son who were believed to have been planning a terror attack in the city. (dmr)