TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Indonesian journo may lose eyesight from bullet during Hong Kong protests: Lawyer

  • Kharishar Kahfi
    Kharishar Kahfi

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, October 3, 2019   /   08:34 am
Indonesian journo may lose eyesight from bullet during Hong Kong protests: Lawyer Protesters walk along a street during a rally in Hong Kong on Aug. 18 in the latest opposition to a planned extradition law that has since morphed into a wider call for democratic rights in the semi-autonomous city. (AFP/Manan Vatsyayana)

Indonesian journalist Veby Mega Indah, who was hit by a bullet in ongoing protests in Hong Kong, could lose eyesight in one eye as a result of injuries, according to a statement from her lawyer.

Veby’s lawyer, Michael Vidler, said in a statement on Wednesday that doctors treating the journalist had told her that the injuries could cause permanent damage to her right eye.

“She was informed that the pupil of her [right] eye had been ruptured by the force of the impact,” Vidler said in the statement. 

He added that doctors had yet to determine the percentage of permanent impairment in Veby’s right eye, as it could only be assessed after surgery.

The lawyer also stated that Veby’s family members had arrived in Hong Kong. 

Read also: Indonesian journalist hit by rubber bullet during Hong Kong protests

Veby was hit by a rubber bullet while covering a demonstration in the Wan Chai area of Hong Kong, China. She works for Suara, an Indonesian-language newspaper in Hong Kong. A tweet showed a photo of Veby with a bandage around her eye while receiving medical attention.

“We can also confirm that we have received evidence from a third party that indicates the projectile that blinded Ms. Indah was a rubber bullet, not a beanbag round as originally thought,” Vidler said.

Separately, the Indonesian Consulate General in Hong Kong said it would ensure Veby received proper treatment from the hospital. The consulate general continues to urge all Indonesians in Hong Kong to stay away from points of mass gatherings. No other Indonesian casualties have been reported.