TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

[UPDATED] At least 26 deaths reported as floods, landslides strike Greater Jakarta

  • Ardila Syakriah
    Ardila Syakriah

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Wed, January 1, 2020   /   05:09 pm
[UPDATED] At least 26 deaths reported as floods, landslides strike Greater Jakarta   Sanitation workers clear away garbage from the Mampang-Kuningan underpass in Central Jakarta on Wednesday. Main thoroughfares and toll roads in the city were inundated after heavy rainfall in the first day of 2020. (Antara/Aprillio Akbar)

Severe flooding in Greater Jakarta has claimed at least 26 lives and forced thousands of people to abandon their homes after heavy downpour from Tuesday evening until Wednesday morning inundated many parts of the Indonesian capital.

The Social Affairs Ministry reported on Thursday that 10 of the 26 deceased were from Bogor regency, West Java. Ranging in age from 5 to 60 years, they had been swept away by floodwaters in the districts of Sukajaya, Nanggung and Jasinga. Another fatality was reported in Bogor municipality, caused by a landslide.

East Jakarta, one of the most affected areas, recorded five fatalities: two due to hypothermia, another two caused by drowning and one by electric shock.

Three residents were killed in a landslide in the neighboring city of Depok, while another three in Bekasi died from being swept away by floods, getting struck by debris and from electric shock, respectively.

Central Jakarta, West Jakarta, Tangerang and South Tangerang in Banten reported one death each.

National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) spokesman Yusuf Latif admitted that the agency was struggling to reach several areas to evacuate victims as the flooding had cut off access. 

Yusuf said 38 teams with two dinghies each had been deployed on Thursday, marking an increase from 13 teams deployed on Wednesday.

Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has prioritized several areas of East Jakarta for evacuation, including Cawang, Kayu Putih and Cakung. As of 7 p.m. on Wednesday, 31,232 people have been evacuated to 269 shelters across the city, according to official data.

The massive flooding also affected thoroughfares and public transportation in the city, with commuter train operator PT Kereta Commuter Indonesia (KCI) having made adjustments to routes affected by flooding.

Passengers taking the train from Bogor to Jatinegara Station would have to alight at Kampung Bandan Station, while the Duri to Tangerang route was changed to Batuceper to Tangerang. The operator noted there may be long queues for the route connecting Rangkasbitung in Banten with Tanah Abang in Central Jakarta, as only five tracks would be in use nearing Tanah Abang Station.

Pools of water were still spotted in parts of the route, the operator said, forcing trains from Bogor to Kota Station as well as from Cikarang/Bekasi to Kota and from Tanjung Priok to Kota to run at just 40 kilometers per hour. 

City-owned bus operator PT Transjakarta has also made adjustments, including temporarily halting operations on the Corridor 3 route between Harmoni and Kalideres. 


Editor’s note: This article has been updated with information gathered by the Post from the Social Affairs Ministry, the Jakarta Police, the Jakarta administration and the National Disaster Mitigation Agency.