Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

TNI captain dismissed following attack on North Sumatra police station

  • Apriadi Gunawan

    The Jakarta Post

North Tapanuli, North Sumatra   /   Mon, March 2, 2020   /   08:09 pm
TNI captain dismissed following attack on North Sumatra police station Indonesian Military personnel try to calm the crowd during a protest on Jl. K.S Tubun, Central Jakarta. (JP/Dhoni Setiawan)

Bukit Barisan Military Command (Kodam) 1 has removed Capt. Ridwan, company commander of Infantry Battalion (Yonif) 123/Rajawali, from his post following an attack on Pahae Julu Police station in North Tapanuli regency, North Sumatra.

Commander of Bukit Barisan Kodam 1 Maj. Gen. Sabrar Fadhilah said the decision to remove Ridwan from his position showed the Indonesian Military's (TNI) commitment to punishing its members who commit crimes or breach discipline.

"Do not doubt [our commitment], we will definitely enforce disciplinary sanctions on our military personnel who are found guilty [of misbehavior]," Sabrar said during his visit to Pahae Julu Police headquarters on Sunday.

Sabrar said Second Sgt. Salahuddin Hasibuan would replace Ridwan in the position of commander of Yonif 123/Rajawali.

During his visit, Sabrar also handed over aid to seven victims of the assault, which comprised six police officers and one civilian.

"I'm sorry for the incident. I apologize, I hope such an incident will never happen again," he said.

He said Bukit Barisan Kodam 1 and the North Sumatra Police had cooperated to make sure that the assault would not cause further trouble.

"We've taken preventive measures. Alhamdulillah [thank God] the situation is now under control," Sabrar said.

Read also: Military personnel allegedly attack a police headquarters in North Sumatra, injuring six

Sabrar also said the assault did not represent the actions of the TNI.

"As an institution, it is our duty to maintain solidarity and synergy," he said.

Sabrar explained that the incident started on Thursday afternoon when several police officers were controlling traffic on the trans-Sumatra road at Silangkitang village in North Tapanuli, following a truck accident in the area.

A minibus carrying military personnel from Yonif 123/Rajawali forced its way through the police barricade. The police officers responded by trying to stop the minibus and a dispute ensued.

"Our personnel were in a hurry so they drove against the traffic, that was the cause of the misunderstanding. Hearsay about the dispute then provoked other personnel, resulting in the attack on the police station," said Sabrar, adding that he had reported the assault to his superiors.

He also claimed that he had instructed the perpetrators to apologize to the victims and repair any damage from the attack on the Pahae Julu Police station.

North Sumatra Police chief Insp. Gen. Martuani Sormin Siregar said he hoped no such incident would recur in the future, and that both personnel of the National Police and the TNI could strengthen their solidarity. 

"Such an incident should never happen again in the future. I hope we can strengthen the solidarity between the TNI and the National Police. We may have different uniforms but we both serve Indonesia," Murtani said. (nal)