The Jakarta Post
The National Police collected nearly Rp 5 billion (US$351,729) in fines from violators of the government’s COVID-19 health protocols between Sept. 14 and Nov. 5.
The police were joined by the Indonesian Military (TNI) and local stakeholders to net health protocol violators through Operasi Yustisi, which aims to monitor and discipline the public over health protocols. The operation was carried out in several regions.
“As of Nov. 5, our joint team has slapped violators with fines over 82,457 times, with a total value of Rp 4.8 billion,” National Police spokesperson Brig. Gen. Awi Setiyono said on Sunday as quoted by tempo.co.
He went on to say that the police had handed the funds over to the state coffer.
In addition to fines, the police also issued nearly 10 million written and oral warnings, Awi said. The force also temporarily closed down nearly 2,000 businesses found to have violated existing health protocols.
Awi said the fines and sanctions were in line with Presidential Decree No. 6/2020 on the enforcement of COVID-19 protocols.
He warned that repeat offenders would eventually become subject to imprisonment.
“If [an individual] continues to violate [the protocols] despite having been warned multiple times, then like it or not, we will have to enforce the law,” Awi said.
Previously, the Jakarta administration reportedly collected around Rp 4 billion in fines from residents violating COVID-19 health protocols as stipulated in Gubernatorial Regulation No. 51/2020, which entered into force on June 4. (rfa)