TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Anies warns Jakarta could see 20,000 active cases by November

  • News Desk

    Jakarta

Jakarta   /   Sat, September 26 2020   /  01:00 am
Members of government's joint team for COVID-19 operation called Operasi Yustisi promote health protocols to passersby in Pesanggrahan, South Jakarta on Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2020. (JP/Wendra Ajistyatama)

As the Jakarta administration extends large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) for another two weeks, Governor Anies Baswedan has claimed that without the policy, the capital city would see 20,000 active COVID-19 cases by November. "Without stricter restrictions and with the current testing rate, we estimate that Jakarta would see 2,000 daily new cases by mid-October and 20,000 active cases by November," Anies said in a statement on Thursday, as reported by kompas.com. Anies previously said the capital had seen a decline in active cases since it reimposed strict PSBB on Sept. 14. In the first 12 days of September, he said, Jakarta had recorded a 49 percent spike in new COVID-19 cases – 3,864 additional patients. In the 12 days after the implementation of strict PSBB, the city managed to bring down the growth to 12 percent – 1,453 additional cases. "...