TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Third Omicron case sparks call for vigilance

Religious Affairs Ministry postpones ‘umrah’ travel

A. Muh. Ibnu Aqil and Dian Septiari (The Jakarta Post)
Premium
Jakarta
Mon, December 20, 2021

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

T

hree cases of the Omicron mutation of COVID-19 have sparked calls for a surveillance intervention to prevent a third wave of infections ahead of the Christmas holidays.

Indonesia was one of the latest nations to report confirmed cases of the more contagious variant, after weeks of being on high alert as the strain swept across the world and was detected in 89 countries, including neighboring states.

It was also one of the more lenient countries in terms of imposing travel and activity restrictions when the variant was reported, which sparked calls for more vigilance, especially after two more Omicron cases were confirmed on Friday among returning travelers.

Health Ministry spokeswoman Siti Nadia Tarmizi said the two new cases were detected after authorities completed genomic sequencing of the five suspected cases first revealed on Thursday.

“The two new confirmed patients are identified as IKWJ, a 42-year-old male who returned from South America, and M, a 50-year-old male who returned from England. Both patients are currently in quarantine at the athletes village,” Nadia said, in reference to the state-run sport facility in Jakarta that was converted into a COVID-19 quarantine and emergency hospital last year.

Authorities were able to flag the five suspected cases and the first confirmed case using a specific type polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test that can detect the S-gene target failure (SGTF), which is one of the identifiers of the Omicron mutations, the health official said. These tests were conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Three other suspected cases are Chinese nationals currently in quarantine at a hospital in Manado, North Sulawesi. Their samples, kompas.com reports, have been sent to the ministry’s health research and development agency in Jakarta, but their results have yet to come back.

to Read Full Story

  • Unlimited access to our web and app content
  • e-Post daily digital newspaper
  • No advertisements, no interruptions
  • Privileged access to our events and programs
  • Subscription to our newsletters
or

Purchase access to this article for

We accept

TJP - Visa
TJP - Mastercard
TJP - GoPay

Redirecting you to payment page

Pay per article

Third Omicron case sparks call for vigilance

Rp 35,000 / article

1
Create your free account
By proceeding, you consent to the revised Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.
Already have an account?

2
  • Palmerat Barat No. 142-143
  • Central Jakarta
  • DKI Jakarta
  • Indonesia
  • 10270
  • +6283816779933
2
Total Rp 35,000

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.