72 years independent, but is Indonesia really free?
Author of Julia's Jihad
PREMIUM Six days ago, on Aug. 17, Indonesia celebrated its 72nd anniversary of independence. Hurray! Festivities everywhere! Indonesians typically celebrate Independence Day by having marches, flag hoisting ceremonies, neighborhood competitions, screening historical films, etc. But have we also achieved internal freedom and justice, or only external freedom? How do you measure the birth of a nation? In...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says