72 years independent, but is Indonesia really free?
Author of Julia's Jihad
PREMIUM Six days ago, on Aug. 17, Indonesia celebrated its 72nd anniversary of independence. Hurray! Festivities everywhere! Indonesians typically celebrate Independence Day by having marches, flag hoisting ceremonies, neighborhood competitions, screening historical films, etc. But have we also achieved internal freedom and justice, or only external freedom? How do you measure the birth of a nation? In...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Commentary: Another side of the elderly: You reap what you sow
- Empty Jakarta during Idul Fitri serves as Instagrammable photo opportunity
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan dies aged 62
- One dead, five wounded in Malmo shooting: police
- Tourism's fatal warning
- BREAKING: Boat with 80 passengers capsizes in Lake Toba