72 years independent, but is Indonesia really free?
Author of Julia's Jihad
PREMIUM Six days ago, on Aug. 17, Indonesia celebrated its 72nd anniversary of independence. Hurray! Festivities everywhere! Indonesians typically celebrate Independence Day by having marches, flag hoisting ceremonies, neighborhood competitions, screening historical films, etc. But have we also achieved internal freedom and justice, or only external freedom? How do you measure the birth of a nation? In...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday