72 years independent, but is Indonesia really free?
Author of Julia's Jihad
PREMIUM Six days ago, on Aug. 17, Indonesia celebrated its 72nd anniversary of independence. Hurray! Festivities everywhere! Indonesians typically celebrate Independence Day by having marches, flag hoisting ceremonies, neighborhood competitions, screening historical films, etc. But have we also achieved internal freedom and justice, or only external freedom? How do you measure the birth of a nation? In...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Big Bad Wolf 2018 to offer Mandarin books
- Essential guide to remote travel in eastern Indonesia
- The skinny on McDonald’s Indonesia ‘nasi uduk’ set
- Jakarta to open first two-pronged underpass to public
- 100 'ojek' drivers gather at Central Jakarta apartment complex after alleged assault
- African nations are now more like Wakanda: Foreign Ministry
- Woman dies at Soekarno-Hatta after arriving from Sydney
- Five Indonesians on Saudi’s death row because of ‘magic’
- More than 130 pilot whales die in mass Australia beaching
- Indonesia calls for joint effort to tax Google, Facebook, Amazon