RI tycoon donates $1m to UC Berkeley
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: The owner of Mayapada group and one of Indonesia’s most renowned tycoons, Tahir, has recently donated US$1 million to the University of California, Berkeley.
Receiving the donation was the university chancellor, Robert J Birgeneau.
Tahir said the donation was expected to be used to assist Indonesian students currently studying at Berkeley who were facing financial problems.
“With this fund, I hope I can do something to help our students continue their studies at Berkeley,” Tahir said Wednesday.
He added that it was his duty as a member of the university’s board of trustees to make the donation.
“In fact, I am the only Asian on the board now,” he said.
When asked on how many Indonesian students might benefit from the funds, Tahir said he did not know, adding that the technical details of its provision had been left to the university management. — JP
- Grassroots war on rabies
- Good nutrition entails safe drinking water
- Award-winning comedy series ‘Silicon Valley’ returns for season 3
- Rationality, deficit in democracy
- Jokowi meets with German President, discusses death penalty
- Repair harm done to Jakarta Bay, fishermen demand
- Indonesia to learn vocational education from Germany: Minister
- 1965 victims: We don’t want communism, just reconciliation
- Cold rice balls, no flush toilets at quake-hit Japan shelter
- NU calls on govt. to reveal truth behind 1965 tragedy