RI tycoon donates $1m to UC Berkeley
The Jakarta Post
JAKARTA: The owner of Mayapada group and one of Indonesia’s most renowned tycoons, Tahir, has recently donated US$1 million to the University of California, Berkeley.
Receiving the donation was the university chancellor, Robert J Birgeneau.
Tahir said the donation was expected to be used to assist Indonesian students currently studying at Berkeley who were facing financial problems.
“With this fund, I hope I can do something to help our students continue their studies at Berkeley,” Tahir said Wednesday.
He added that it was his duty as a member of the university’s board of trustees to make the donation.
“In fact, I am the only Asian on the board now,” he said.
When asked on how many Indonesian students might benefit from the funds, Tahir said he did not know, adding that the technical details of its provision had been left to the university management. — JP
- Two Malaysians arrested in Batam for suspected human trafficking
- Two foreign tourists die in motorcycle accident in Bali
- Man accused of charging illegal fees to former East Timor residents
- Victory in sight, Clinton still grapples with negative views
- LPG explosion in Pizza Hut outlet destroys four buildings
- Industry risks startup bubble
- Australian delegation to meet trade minister Monday for meat talks
- Jokowi's achievements need closer scrutiny: Indef
- Govt urged to pay more attention to farmers' welfare
- Hong Kong to lure tourists with food festival