Defending direct elections
Pan Mohamad Faiz
The political reform movement that began in 1998 has significantly transformed the democratic atmosphere in Indonesia through amendments to the 1945 Constitution. One of the fundamental changes relates to the electoral mechanism for regional leaders.
We used to have indirect elections where governors, mayors and regents were chosen by members of local legislative councils. A year after the...
- Schools facing closure after allowing students to take part in 'gladiator fight': Komnas Anak
- Muslims celebrate Islamic New Year to promote tolerance
- Trump's threat akin to `sound of a dog barking': North Korea
- Indonesia’s U-16 inch closer to AFC berth after beating Thailand 1-0
- Auditor arrested for Harley Davidson gift
- Police arrest two suspects allegedly involved in high school “gladiator” fight
- Hot new talent to light up Milan Fashion Week
- Indonesian FM Retno Marsudi receives UN Agent of Change award
- SOEs urged to accelerate development of Kuala Tanjung industrial park
- Militants planned to target Malaysian beer fest: police