Defending direct elections
Pan Mohamad Faiz
The political reform movement that began in 1998 has significantly transformed the democratic atmosphere in Indonesia through amendments to the 1945 Constitution. One of the fundamental changes relates to the electoral mechanism for regional leaders.
We used to have indirect elections where governors, mayors and regents were chosen by members of local legislative councils. A year after the...
- Anies launches first housing project with zero down payment
- Jakarta designates lane for motorcycles
- Myanmar makes record drug bust with 30 million meth pills
- 'Millennial bravery' and taking the fight against corruption online
- Bali welcomes more South Korean tourists in 2017
- Chance to push for IMF quota reform?
- ‘Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition’ slated for March
- Commentary: 'Minor reshuffle' and Jokowi's own political survival
- Chicken traders to go on strike in Bandung as price increases
- Health certificate to be compulsory for couples getting married