Defending direct elections
Pan Mohamad Faiz
The political reform movement that began in 1998 has significantly transformed the democratic atmosphere in Indonesia through amendments to the 1945 Constitution. One of the fundamental changes relates to the electoral mechanism for regional leaders.
We used to have indirect elections where governors, mayors and regents were chosen by members of local legislative councils. A year after the...
- PLN has signed contracts for power plants to generate 31,000 MW
- Anies, Sandiaga leave town
- 'Despacito' sweeps Latin Grammys -- and heads to Asia
- Journalist named suspect over traffic accident involving Setya Novanto
- Hundreds of residents escorted out of besieged Papuan villages
- Jokowi orders Setya to obey law
- Album Review: 'Reputation' by Taylor Swift
- Jakarta least tolerant city in Indonesia: human rights group
- Victoria's Secret gala hits snag in China as model pulls out
- Pertamina says fuel prices need to be increased